Ad land’s Young Guns: Rohit Dhingra, CEO & Co-Founder, TAGG
A fitness enthusiast, Rohit Dhingra, CEO & Co-Founder, TAGG, is a young entrepreneur from Delhi. His strong inclination towards technology and the zeal to make it big in life gave him the idea of starting his own company of technologically advanced electronic products.
In 2016, Dhingra, along with his two partners, founded TAGG and since then there was no looking back. With utmost hard work, dedication and expertise, Dhingra has established TAGG as one of the fastest growing technology brands of India.
A graduate in computer science, Dhingra has previously worked with organisations like India Today Group, Vinove Software & Services, and AdGlobal360 India.
How did you come up with the idea of starting your own company – TAGG?
TAGG was started by me and my two partners – Amitesh and Saurav – in 2016. All three of us were studying in a same engineering institute, where we got an opportunity to discuss about our common love and interest – technology. We conducted a sector scan and realised that the consumer electronics market in India is very huge and there is a major gap in terms of choices in the audio sector, where people either can opt for high-end international brands or cheap Chinese audio products. This contributed to coming up with a brand that not only provides quality products, but also provides the consumers with true value of their money.
As a leader, what major skill sets do you bring to the table?
From what I have observed about myself, my skills lie primarily in strategic planning and management.
Icons that you look up to and how they have influenced you and your work?
There are a lot of people who have had a tremendous influence on me and my work, so it will be difficult to name one person. Each one of them has taught me something unique that I can cherish for life. My career trajectory would have been entirely different if these people had not inspired me.
What are the five most productive things that you do in your everyday routine?
- Meditation - Before I start my work, I ensure 15-20 minutes of meditation. It boosts my energy levels and helps me to concentrate on my work throughout the day.
- Reading - I read at least one newspaper every day. It helps me to stay updated and keep a track on the industry developments.
- Team Meeting - I conduct a quick meeting with my team every morning to plan the roadmap for the day and set deadlines for each task. The planning helps me and my team to stay productive throughout the day.
- Take planned breaks - Going on planned breaks everyday helps me to take a step back and ensure I am doing the right things in the right way. Planned breaks also keep me away from getting bored, which further enhances my concentration on work.
- Make Notes - Everyday I make a note of every important conversation that I have with people around me. Keeping a track what you are learning every day helps you to improve and grow with time.
Do you think a career in this field is a viable one in the long term?
Mobile accessories industry in India is estimated to grow more than $3.5 billion by 2026, this certainly shows that there is a huge underlying potential for a career path that can be chosen if one grooms it well. Also, with a comparatively high ratio of mobile penetration in every segment of population in India, the digital growth is inevitable and beneficial at the same time and this again leads to the growth of e-commerce industry that opens many doors for a viable opportunity in long term.
Where do you see TAGG in the next five years?
In five years’ time we intend to cater to the majority of the market, while becoming the fastest growing brand in the audio industry and forming our very own niche in the market.
In future, we aim to see ourselves innovating with more cutting-edge technology and incorporating even better state-of-the-art design in our products. We also intend to venture into new segments of consumer electronics. Apart from this, we are initiating operations in other continents and countries, thus expanding our horizon of work sectors.
What does it take to succeed in a career?
Hard work, calculated risks, discipline, an open mind and willingness to learn new skills.
What would be your advice to youngsters planning to start their own business?
Do your own research, analyse the market, and define your goals before taking a final plunge. Do not hesitate to take risks, challenge yourself and most importantly, believe in yourself. Find good people to work with. No one succeeds in the business alone, so build a great team.